Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia CD (album) cover

5 stars This album just kicks right from the start and doesn't let up until the end of the album. There are a ton of good musical ideas flowing. Todd is flexing his prog muscles for the first time here and he seems to be a master of his craft.

The "Utopia Theme" kicks it off with a fusion flavor and rocks you out the door. It is relentless and wild.

"Freak Parade" doesn't let up either. Man, there is some cool fusion, with a Jeff Beck vibe to it.

"Freedom Fighters" is the made for radio rocker. It is the shortest of the bunch and it is pretty cool also.

The best is last in the 30 minute epic "The Ikon." I first heard Todd Rungren from AM radio when he released "We Gotta Get You a Woman." With this album, I found out just how well he does play the guitar. Man, this guy knows his stuff!

This is a must have recording and I give it 5 stars.

Keetian | 5/5 |