Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards  CD (album) cover

TURN OF THE CARDS

Renaissance

Sinusoid
3 stars Those who happen to enjoy classical music almost as much as prog rock will find joy out of TURN OF THE CARDS. The compositions are all very delicate and not very demanding, meaning that any prog fan can get into the music relatively easily. Here's the big downside; the music is a bit too pretty for any fan of the ''rock'' side of prog.

''Mother Russia'' is the prog classic from the album; there's an orchestral section underneath everything that gives the piece a certain majesty. ''Running Hard'' and ''Things I Don't Understand'' also contain nice prog bits, but my mind dawdles throughout most of the album. Renaissance takes themselves too seriously; all pieces sound like business more than fun (although too much fun is just as bad), and I can't get any enjoyment. My assessment might be harsh to the fans, but my prog tastes aren't exactly here.

Sinusoid | 3/5 |