Jan Akkerman - Jan Akkerman CD (album) cover

JAN AKKERMAN

Jan Akkerman

snobb
3 stars One of most popular ex-Focus guitarist's Jan Akkerman solo album. Very light and relaxed, this album for long time was a problem for me - I just tried to understand it. Yes, not to feel, because European jazz-fusion, recorded there, isn't too much music, you can feel. Cool, technically competent, with strong classical music roots, it always sounded as "self closed thing" for me.

Then, after many listenings, I just decided, that it is simply not my cup of tea. I like some unusual guitar techniques and sound, but can't name full composition I could like in full. Strong influence of Dutch cool jazz, technically strong ( but never too much experimental), but very emotionless, and some old-fashion orchestration (ok, it sounds old-fashioned now, so for album ,released in 1977, let name it "dated").

It is not easy listening ( but very accessible music, not far from it), it isn't a real jazz-rock ( much more saloon jazz or chamber-influenced music), but still have many rock traces on it. The best name possibly is " chamber jazz in fusion clothes" , but again, it doesn't say too much.

Atmosphere is close to ECM recordings, but differently from many Nordic artists, music there sounds more conservative. And even if I can hear many attractive moments, the album in whole doesn't stick with me.

Possibly, it was played and recorded for different listener. In all cases, very competent music. Just try - may be it is album for you?

snobb | 3/5 |