Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out CD (album) cover

FIVE MILES OUT

Mike Oldfield

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars At first, Five Miles Out announces itself as an album with a meaner and more urgent feel then the two that preceded. Taurus2 starts with a catchy riff that promises great things, but unfortunately the piece quickly starts taking strange twists and turns that sound forced rather then meaningful. I think Oldfield relied too heavily on the undemanding feel-happy Celtic folk tunes that he had been overusing for years already. For me, In Dulce Jubilo and Portsmouth suffice. I don't have any need for endless weedy repetitions of it. Besides, a lot of the melodies are rather plain and the music simply lacks emotion.

Emotion comes in waves on Family Man, a simple pop tune but easily the most original and compelling tune he recorded since Incantations I& II. There's some kind of post-punk-light vibe on this track. I could hear Siouxsie doing this one. It launches a better inspired continuation of the album. The lengthy Orabidoo is slightly more experimental then Oldfield's usual fare but still I can't say I'm much overwhelmed by it. A bit too far-fetched again. Mount Teidi sounds more electronic and feels similar to Tangerine Dream soundtrack material of those years. The closing Five Miles Out is a bit silly but quite fun. The next album would make better use of the guest vocalists I'd say.

One excellent pop song and a couple of decent long instrumental pieces. Not bad, but not entirely compelling neither. 2.5 stars

Bonnek | 2/5 |