Magma - mhnthtt-R CD (album) cover

4 stars This was and is my first approach to Zeuhl music. I honestly had no idea it sounded like this, so innovating and bizzarre (I thought it was an electronic kind of genre). I remember the first time I listened to ER, I didn't like it so much and I was hesitant in defining it a masterpiece. After my fourth listen, I realized how wrong I was.

The first part of the album is entirely dedicated to the epic 45 minute suite "Emehntehtt Re", which is divided into four parts. This song is probably one of the best realizations of the year, because of it's huge, fantastic, dark, and ancient sounding tunes. We can easily and briefly say that it's a mix between classical music (the structure of the songs, other than the vocals, mainly influenced by lyrical music) and jazz rhythms. Many times the music reaches an Apocalyptic and cryptic feeling, creating an unrepeatable atmosphere, especially in " Emehntehtt Re II", the longest song of the album.

"Funehrarium Kahnt" is very different from the epic Suite: mainly it's four minutes of suspended vocals, accompanied by a pondering gong that keeps the "rhythm". This song, despite it sounding very boring, it is very interesting.

The final track, "Sehe" is twenty five seconds long and it seems to be a excerpt of an ancient egyptian funeral, with as a sorround a creepy sounding theme played with keyboards.

Most definitely one of the best albums of the year, other than being an unbelievable and timeless masterpiece, essential for any progressive rock fan. Enjoy!!

EatThatPhonebook | 4/5 |