Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out CD (album) cover

FIVE MILES OUT

Mike Oldfield

Mellotron Storm
2 stars The album cover is way better than the music here unfortunately. Oldfield who is a pilot wrote most of the songs here from experiences that he has had while flying. It was released in 1982. I must admit I disliked this recording from the first time I heard it, and repeated listens have only confirmed my initial evaluation.

"Taurus II" is the almost 25 minute opener. It does have it's moments.This is a toe tapper early on then female vocal melodies come in after 1 1/2 minutes. It will continue to change throughout. I have to smile when the guitar comes in before 4 minutes because i've always liked Oldfield's style and the tone of his guitar. Uillean Pipes before 6 1/2 minutes then it settles 8 minutes in followed by female vocals. I don't like the female vocal melodies before 17 minutes because they remind me of ABBA. Guitar is back before 19 minutes. A heavier beat after 20 minutes then the song ends with solo piano.

"Family Man" is cringe worthy. Yikes ! An 80's pop tune with female vocals. "Orabidoo" is pastoral to start before kicking in somewhat before 2 1/2 minutes. Processed vocals on this one too. Piano before 7 1/2 minutes followed by synths. It sounds better 10 minutes in but it doesn't last long. It ends with acoustic guitar and reserved female vocals. "Mount Teidi" has a beat while the guitar joins in. It's fuller later. Yawn. "Five Miles Out" has a beat with processed male vocals. Female vocals join in. Some guest strings on this one as well and a catchy beat.

No this is not good at all in my opinion, and like the last two Collaborator's i too can only offer up 2 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 2/5 |