Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

3 stars ELP 's second album could have been one of the very best prog albums ever made. It could have really: like the typical progressive rock album, there is a very long suite that occupies a whole LP side, all the songs are 100% progressive, all of them inspired by classical music, and the whole album is a concept.

So what went wrong?

"Tarkus" is probably the best ELP song of all time, and one of the best prog songs ever. That's how much I love. Every single second is pure genius, all three musicians do an outstanding work and performance as a group, but even each of them singularly (Emerson is absolutely wild, and so is The legendary Carl Palmer, one of my favorite drummers.). A fantastic song, I never get sick of it.

"Jeremy Bender" is just a kind of silly song without too many credits and acclaims.

"Bitches Crystal" is the best song of this album after Tarkus. Very catchy and original, with an awesome riff.

The rest is pretty forgettable (but I like the last song. "Are You Ready Eddy", even though it is pretty silly). The tribute to Bach is a little interesting, a Time And Place has some nice moments, but that's all.

I think it's pretty clear now what went wrong.

EatThatPhonebook | 3/5 |