Ayreon - The Human Equation CD (album) cover

2 stars MAN, what's this?

Okay I like it a bit. Actually it is quite original in places. I think music is no longer something people make up their own mind about but are told what to think by other people on internet discussion boards and websites . I WAS expecting to hear a metal band with Genesis/Yes influences, and for your information I didn't really want to hear that but that's what I've come to expect. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

There's a lot of gothic/prog/metal out there with dark sounding folky female vocals and violins, this is a bit in that vein. Often these bands have machine-like and very electronic sounds in the flavour, and there's some of that here.

Anyway if there was something I didn't like about this album is that it's so heavy-hearted and negative, like, for example, the song 'trauma' there's lines like 'Your mother died the day your father ran away' and '(screamed) your better off dead'. It all seems so melodramatic. The album is full of lyrics about some depressed guy and about all his problems like arguments with his father and feeling like a 'loser'.

Also, is that a didgeridoo on the song 'Loser'? (yeah, there's a song called loser - maybe these guys can write lyrics for nu-metal bands like Korn and Linkin Park).

Well if you like a big dramatic rock-opera emo album with analogue seventies 'sci/fi' synths and big vocal harmonies this is the one for you. By the way it's too long. The guy should have killed himself about half way through.

Brendan | 2/5 |