IQ - Dark Matter CD (album) cover

DARK MATTER

IQ

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Dark Matter was the first IQ-release that I've heard following a period where I basically exhausted Marillion's discography in my search of another excellent release from the band.

The album opener titled Sacred Sound hit it off quite well with me and I was completely mesmerized by the whole experience. Little did I know, this was going to be the only moment of greatness that Dark Matter had in store for me. The three shorter tracks had all unique approaches to the IQ-style but these compositions never came close to the excellence of the album opener. Had the album carried on in the same vain all the way to the end then it would easily have become one of my favorite Neo-Prog releases. Unfortunately it all came to a screeching halt with the albums concluding magnum opus.

The 25 minute epic Harvest Of Souls sounds too much like a been there, done that kind of affair. Comparisons to Supper's Ready are inevitable but unlike the '70s classic this one lacked the punch added by the lyrics. I honestly struggle to understand and interpret the lyrics. Is there suppose to be a political massage to it or is it just a glimpse of a dark futuristic society? Anyhow it's far from something that I'm interested in revisiting considering that there are so many considerably more exciting prog epics available out there.

I realize that this album relies heavily on the listeners appreciation for Harvest Of Souls which unfortunately I don't posses. Therefore my concluding thoughts on the album is that it's a solid Neo-Prog release that fans of the genre will probably enjoy a whole lot more than me. As for the rating, I struggle gibing it anything beyond an average good, but non-essential rating.

***** star songs: Sacred Sound (11:40)

**** star songs: Red Dust Shadow (5:53) You Never Will (4:54) Born Brilliant (5:20)

*** star songs: Harvest Of Souls (24:29)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |