Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Angel Station  CD (album) cover

ANGEL STATION

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Easy Livin
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Going underground?

"Angel Station" is an underground station in London. Why an album would be named after it is beyond me, but I'm sure there must have been a good reason.

The album continues MMEB's move towards an overtly commercial sound, with several actual and potential singles included. The obligatory Springsteen or Dylan cover is here, this time it's a superb version of Dylan's "You angel you". I sometimes wonder if those great men ever hear MMEB's versions of their songs and think "why didn't I do it that way"!

The runaway finest track on the album is "Waiting for the rain". This is a majestic, haunting piece, on which Chris Thompson gives one of his finest vocal performances. His gravely voice suits this sort of track far better than on pop songs like "Don't kill it Carol". The main theme is played out on synthesiser as a trumpet voluntary, supported by a fine bass line.

While the album is generally more pop orientated than earlier MMEB output, it still has enough of a rock flavour to set it above routine chart orientated material. "Angels at my gate" is actually quite dark, while the fragility of "Resurrection" complements "Waiting for the rain" well.

A fine if mainly commercial album, as a reference point those who enjoy the music of Asia should enjoy "Angel station".

Easy Livin | 3/5 |