Magma - Live/Hhaï (Köhntark) CD (album) cover

LIVE/HHAÏ (KÖHNTARK)

Magma

Zeuhl

snobb
4 stars First and possibly the best Magma live album. Recorded in Paris and released in 1975, after the band released their absolutely essential three first albums, this recordings are "the best" collection and documentary of their golden period.

Magma's music is world for its own. Avant-garde mix of Vagner,Orff, neo classicism, fusion and dark experimentalism, this music is far from easy accessible. Unprepared listener needs many spins just to catch it. But if (and when) you will dig as deep as possible and just get this strange idea, mounted somewhere between master strokes and dark classic strings sound, you will find plenty of interesting things there.

I am quite a stranger in Magma's world, but living in parallel universe with them, I can really enjoy some of their moments. Possibly, I need more years (!) to be more familiar with Kobaian way of thinking.

But even stranger ( ok, let say - stranger with some background) could find this work interesting and even enjoyable. Because of excellent combination of extra-professional drumming, dark strings and bass-line. All them build a bit nervous, uncomfortable, but magnetic space, especially played live.

One of the most attractive Magma album for me ( yes, I am stranger in their world).

snobb | 4/5 |