Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante CD (album) cover

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

4 stars An amazing little album from my favorite modern guitarrist, John Frusciante. I'm not familiar with the Mars Volta, but Omar sure sounds like a great musician to me.

The music on this album is mellow, experimental, melodic and kind of similar to Johns previous albums. It sounds a bit like the acoustic experimental magic on "Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T Shirt" meets the partly electronic greatness of "A Sphere in the Heart of Silence". It's mainly guitar-based, but it does feature some synths at times, aswell as a drum machine on one track. Even if it's pretty short, it still leaves me more than satisfied because of the wonderful music. It's just got this great feel to it. It's full of emotion and an overall feel of musical experimentation that's just an unbeatable combination.

Favorite songs are"0=2", "0"and "ZIM", i think... They're all good. If you're into John's music or Omar's music or just anything that's experimental yet melodic, there's really no reason why you shouldn't listen to this album. It's also free to download, even if you could choose to donate money (which you SHOULD do! 2 great musicians giving out great music for FREE! Hello?), so my advice to you is to simply get it.

Even if i love this album, it wouldn't make sense to me to give it 5 stars, because it's not really a MASTERPIECE by any means. It's just a great, great piece of arty music out there for anyone to enjoy. And you should.

Abstrakt | 4/5 |