Blue Öyster Cult - Fire Of Unknown Origin CD (album) cover

Blue Öyster Cult

4 stars Having just reviewed a subpar BOC effort with HEAVEN FORBID, it's time to whet my whistle on some "real" Cult! This release, along with SPECTRES and IMAGINOS, are, IMHO, the finest that this band produced in their long career. Everything that Blue Oyster Cult was about can be found in this album: power guitar riffs, cool lyrics, spacey production, butt-kickin' rock, and all-around general Sci-Fi proggy rock. Pure prog? Well, no. But I have not found many prog-types that don't enjoy this album. Great Tunes: "Fire of Unknown Origin", "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", "Sole Survivor", "Vengance(The Pact)" best on the album!, and "Joan Crawford". The only low spot on this album for me is "Heavy Metal: Black and Silver", which I find lame and boring. "After Dark" is average but not really bad- just not really good either. So, overall, this is one of the best of BOC. 4 stars. Could have been higher but for a few weak songs and too much 80's synths.
mohaveman | 4/5 |