Tempest - Turn Of The Wheel CD (album) cover

TURN OF THE WHEEL

Tempest

Prog Folk

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Tempest´s third offering was the second I had since I discovered this very interesting prog folk outfit. Compared to 2006´s The Double Cross, this one is slightly more on the traditional side (meaning the electric guitars here have not so much bite). I also prefer DC´s repertoire more than this one, but that´s just a matter of taste, for the usual high quality choice of songs, the excellent musicanship and the tasteful arrangements are all here ten years before that disc. I also love lead singer and multi instrumentalist Lief Sorbye´s voice. He sounds a lot like a old time minstrel coming from a Robin Hood film!

One thing there always puzzled me was the fact that this band is based on the USA since their music is not even remotely american. They are truly heirs of european groups like Steeleay Span and Fairport Convention. Tempst did modernize their sound and again the production is much superior to those two groups ever had. And the playing here is quite joyful and energetic with some fantastic electric guitar licks and brilliant bass parts along with the more traditional elements of the flute, violin and mandolin. You can see those guys really love what they´re doing. As a curio Keith Emerson does makes an appearance on the first track, The Barrow Man, delivering the odd synth solo.

Tempest hardly brings anything new to this kind of sound in terms of structure, but, boy, are they convincing! They do make everything here sound new! And there is no fillers anywhere. There are few lows here also, and even in those cases I must point out it is just my personal taste, not the quality of the material.So if you like prog folk, go for it. It is very unliked you won´t like this band. Rating: four stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |