Curved Air - Second Album CD (album) cover

SECOND ALBUM

Curved Air

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
3 stars As I am no big fan of the band, this only get 3 stars but this is one of their better albums . Start with this one and the the next one. Sonja's voice is among the best with Haslam, Jane Relf, Celia Humphries (Trees) or Jacqui McShee(Pentangle).

I am one proghead only partly appreciating the Classical composer reworks with rock influences, and CA is one of the groups I always found a bit too close for comfort to ripping off the masters. The musos present are all talented, Way with his violin and monkman is a good instrumentalist, but the problem lies elsewhere IMHO: do these guys have that much to say, to have made so many albums.

Anyway, This album and the next (Phatasmagoria) are Curved Air at the top of their game, but will simply never break the major leagues: for some evident reasons! At least to my eyes. I still find that most albums from Curved Air ARE worth the odd spin , once in a while, but IMHO, they were never essential listening.

Sean Trane | 3/5 |