Blood Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat, and Tears  CD (album) cover

BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS

Blood Sweat & Tears

Keetian
4 stars BS&T found their success with this one. They had three hits, which were: "You Made Me so Very Happy," "And when I Die," and "Spinning Wheel." The last song being one of my favorites. I like most of the album. At the time it was a fresh and exciting sound that I wanted to keep hearing. Later, I would lean more toward guitar music alone, but as a teenager who was top forty savvy, I liked the band.

The music starts with a simple tune by Erik Satie and then the second part blows you away. It is like an explosion of sound. I thought it was great.

I also liked "Smiling Phases" a lot. The band knows how to play some interesting and jazzy themes. I didn't care for "More and More" and "And When I die." I wished they didn't have either one on the record.

"God Bless the Child" is a killer tune. They really compliment Billie Holliday's song. It is a real treat to listen to. They do some great jamming on it.

The second side is just excellent. I especially enjoyed, Blues part 2, the way the band experimented and ended up with David Clayton Thomas wailing his love for his woman. It used to give me goose bumps, it was so good. Then a reprise of the first movement by Erik Satie.

This is a good one for anyone who likes orchestra instruments blending with a rock sound. You won't be disappointed. I give this 4 stars due to the 2 songs I didn't like, yet they are all well played.

Keetian | 4/5 |