Khan - Space Shanty CD (album) cover

Khan

Canterbury Scene

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album to my ears marks one of the high points in the Canterbury scene. Not only does it feature two of my favorite musicians of the genre, Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart (no, not that forgotten poseur from The Eurythmics, the real Dave Stewart), but it also contains some of the most exciting music to come from said scene. Complex and powerful from start to finish, Space Shanty contains little of the lightness and airiness that often limits my enjoyment of other Canterbury artists and groups.

Hillage is, as usual, an exemplary guitar wizard throughout the album, but Stewart, from song to song, steals the show. He plays each song with a fiery intensity that I've only heard in this consistancy on the Bruford albums.

My copy, is the early nineties Deram release, which was in dire need of remastering. The sound is a bit muddy throughout, with the bass and drums often getting pushed too far into the background. But still, it's better sounding than the completely worn out LP I also own.

Evolver | 4/5 |