Echolyn - Mei CD (album) cover

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I'm probably the only ECHOLYN fan not to have "MEI" or "As The World" included in my top three albums by them. In fact i'm not too fond of either of those recordings even though many fans hail them as masterpieces. My top four are the debut, "Cowboy Poems Free", "Suffocating The Bloom" and "The End Is Beautiful". "MEI" as you probably know is one long track that goes on for almost 50 minutes. I was laughing at a comment by someone on another site who compared it to GREEN CARNATION's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" and said at least it wasn't as boring as that one. I laughed because I feel the exact oposite is true. GREEN CARNATION's album just flows and it's so dynamic and interesting while ECHOLYN's album really bores me almost all the time.

I know i'm in the minority with these thoughts but honestly to really simplify it we get organ and drums in the more powerful sections leading contrasted with the more laid back passages with reserved vocals. Again that's really over simplifying it but other than the organ / drum sections this is hard to get into, and even those get tiresome after a while.They do mix it up at times certainly with strings and some guitar, but vocals, drums and organ standout mostly throughout.

I just don't feel any emotion with this album. 3 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |