Larry Young - Of Love And Peace CD (album) cover

Larry Young

3 stars I am not very familiar with Larry Young's works, but from his earlier albums I heard, this one caught me (possibly because there is not post-bop, but more avant-jazz recorded).

Brass section is often in the front of all sound, and I like their chaotic and free interplays. Larry's electric piano is often on the second plan, but always you can recognize it, and its sound gave some modernity for that music ( don't forget, it's 1966!).

Drummers are very classically jazzy, but competent. In whole, Album's sound is surprisingly fresh for mid 60-s, not just your usual post-bop. Piano passages are possibly very first signs of Hancock fusion era coming. Transitional album from last days of pre-fusion time, and there is some feeling under the music's skin that fusion is coming.

snobb | 3/5 |