Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture CD (album) cover

4 stars 4.5 stars really!!! I was quite surprised for this album, I really thought it wouldn't be so great: in fact, at my first listen, I wasn't so thrilled. Turns up it's a fantastic album, with all the elements that I love about Neo Prog.

The style is typical of the genre, very theatrical, with a lot of keyboards, and dreamy atmospheres. The structure of the album though is amazing, like no other Neo Prog album(maybe there are a few exceptions). I honestly haven't got a really big experience for the genre, but I have to say that this, in my opinion, is one of the most defining albums. The melodies are epic, beautiful, majestic, with a touch of emotive feeling, especially in songs like "Paintbox".

The album starts off with the title track, a very interesting intro that imitates the italian opera. "As Good As Gold" is a great, great song, where Nick Barrett's unique vocals dominate the scene. The melody is beautiful, the musicianship is great as well. One of my favorite songs of the album. "Paintbox" is another amazing song, especially the middle part, all instrumental till the end. Maybe my favorite song of Pendragon. "Pursuit Of Excellent" is a beautiful singed interlude, where Nick really gives his best performances, in my opinion. "Guardian Of My Soul" is a twelve minute song, great in some moments, less in others, but still worth your time. "The Shadow" is another beautiful track, especially in the piano part, but even the middle part is amazing. "Masters Of Illusion" is another long song, as long as "Guardian Of My Soul". It has the same song structure, even though in some parts it's generally better and in a way more mysterious.

A great, fantastic album, I recommend it to any Neo Prog fan, but even to whoever wants to explore for the first time this wonderful genre.

EatThatPhonebook | 4/5 |