Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn CD (album) cover

OMMADAWN

Mike Oldfield

frenchie
4 stars I just got this on vinyl for 50 pence at a closing down sale and i think its brilliant. Part two, i thought, was much better than part one because it was a lot more consistant and showed clear improvement from the very begining. I liked the vast use of instruments as on tubular bells, as this seems to be Oldfields incredible talent and i think its amazing how he gets all these ideas to have multi-layered side-length pieces like this. Absolutely spectacular.

Part one does well to set the scene and i enjoyed listening to it. It is a little more inconsistant and long winding but it sets the scene well and kept me listening. But it is a majestic travel from part one to part two where all of his skill and vision pays off superbly. The voices in the background of part one became annoying after a while and sort of made it a little samey. Part two contained some very powerful and moving pieces as well as showing energy, sorrow and great musicianship throughout. Excellent. I'm not sure if i prefered it to tubular bells because that album for me is much more epic and listenable. Ommadawn is a real wonder though.

frenchie | 4/5 |