Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

genbanks
4 stars If I would be in a non progressive rock site making this review I would give 3 STARS for this album, but I know that unless Close to the edge is an excellent addition for any progressive rock collection. The problem with this album is that at many moments the music sounds forced, it not flows freely, everything sounds too much mechanic, cold. Much virtuous musicianship but not much feeling.

The title song is just a classic epic, but not one of the ones that I prefer. The intro is too long and seems to go nowhere. After Jon starts to sing, things get better but the music is too cold. The I get up I get down section becames more warm and the subsequent instrumental is good. Then the main theme repets once more till rich the 23 minutes.

And you and I is the best song of the album. It's just a progressive ballad with great sections in which the keyboard and the guitar combines in a perfect way. Here Jon Anderson sings with passion. A great track.

Siberian Kathru. Simply I don't like this song. I can't find where this track wants to go.

So, if I think that the reviews that we make tends to give an idea of the quality of an album into a progressive rock context, I will give 3.5 STARS to this album. Not 4 STARS because Siberian Kathru wich I don't like.

genbanks | 4/5 |