Abigail's Ghost - Selling Insincerity CD (album) cover

Abigail's Ghost

3 stars It's very Porcupine Tree

It's hard to deny that this album is very enjoyable not only to those who get used to prog music but I believe those who like music in general would feel the same too. The fact is that the music in general is quite easy to digest and most of them are in upbeat mode or at least in a predictable direction. Yes, it's basically straight forward in terms of composition, you hardly find any curved segments that deviate from its tagline melody.

You might find boringness with this album if you are updated to prog music with bands like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief or RPWL as they are alike in terms of style. In terms of proximity this debut by Abigail's Ghost is quite close with Porcupine Tree. Not only the music, but the vocal characteristics of Josua Theriot is in the vein of Steven Wilson. Musically, this one from Abigail's Ghost is less complex and less exploration than Porcupine Tree. That suffices to say that this album is more digest-able.

I have listened to this album in its entirety more than 10 spins and there was time when I got bored with the music as it's quite easy to predict. Maybe because I have been listening a lot of Porcupine Tree albums, sometimes when Iistened to this album I felt like saying "Enough man ...enough ..!!" In relation the music style. If there has been nothing we know about Porcupine Tree, the feeling is of course different.

The opening track "Mazurka" (1:04) is basically a tone setter that establishes the ambient of the music the album contains. It moves beautifully with an upbeat "Close" (5:48) where you get the Porcupine Tree nuances for the first time. You must enjoy this straight forward track and also the coming "Waiting Room" (please do not expect this as something horror like you find in Genesis "The Lamb" album) (4:38).

"Love Sounds" (6:48) elevates the tone in such a way that this is gonna be the masterpiece track of this debut. It starts with something ambient using keyboard and soun effects in Peter Gabriel's style. When the vocal enters, it's really a Porcupine Tree music style. You might enjoy the vocal harmony. But the peak might be when the music changes it style into upbeat one when the vocal line ends, continued with tight basslines and drumwork. Well, I also enjoy the guitar solo before this transition that happens at minute 4:33. The guitar solo that overlays this piece reminds me to Porcupine Tree, really!

"Sellout" (4:18) starts with heavy riffs followed with music in upbeat tempo. "Dead Peoples Review" (4:45) is a follow-up of previous track with speedier tempo. "Monochrome" (5:03) is a mellow track with good melody and 'easy to digest' composition.

"Windows" (4:42) starts with acoustic guitar rhythm section which brings the music in a pop outfit with nice basslines. "Cerulean Blue" (7:44) is an upbeat music in Porcupine Tree style. The two concluding tracks are very good as well, I.e. " Seeping" (5:54 and "Mother May I" (5:42).

Overall, it's a very good album especially for those who are quite new to prog music. For those who has been proggin' for quite a long time might get bored with this Porcupine Tree like music. It's basically like you are listening to everything like Dream Theater, and so many bands that follow Dream Theater in progmet scene. Enough is enough .... Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW