Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings CD (album) cover

BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS

Dream Theater

Flucktrot
3 stars Neither a fanboy nor a hater, perhaps I can offer new insight into a recent DT release. Or perhaps you already know whether you hate it or love it--perhaps even without hearing it!

DT brings out strange reactions like no other band, and some--particularly the haters--just can't wait to tear the band apart, often offering no specifics as to why. I can sympathize with this feeling, because for a decent amount of DT's material, I just can't stay interested...let alone have nice things to say about it.

Fortunately, that's not the entire album for me. I understand the nitpicks with Nightmare, but there are also some great positives as well. I love the 5/4 breaks--especially the one where Petrucci really tears things apart--and I like Rudess' contributions. It's really a fun song, although an unabashedly cheesy song to be sure.

i think Tuscany is also a highlight. That 9/4 rhythm during the main verse is deceptively tricky and effective, particularly in adding impact to the head-bobbing chorus. I also love the Petrucci solos, as well as LaBrie's restrained yet powerful vocals--in a world where too few musicians truly evolve, I have to hand it to LaBrie for doing exactly that. (I don't pay attention to lyrics, so they may be as cheesy as many have been saying.) I think it's a great song. If you can't enjoy anything from DT that doesn't sound like the Moore-era (but not too much, because that wouldn't be creative enough), then I feel just a little bit sorry for you.

Decent album with some definite keep-ables. I won't attempt to sell it as a masterpiece, but I will have to contradict those who believe Black Clouds only consists of material we've heard before from the Dream.

Flucktrot | 3/5 |