Algernon - Ghost Surveillance CD (album) cover

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I wish I was as enthusiastic as the other reviewers. And I do like this album but to hear pretty much the same style of instrumental music throughout is a bit much for me. Interesting sound though. For me they blend Post-Rock and Math-Rock very well, and I also thought of MEW a few times believe it or not. Lots of Vibraphone which gives it an interesting sound.

"The Briefing" opens with guitar as drums join in and it builds.This reminds me of MEW. It does get intense around 2 minutes and to end it. "Broken Lady" sounds interesting with the bass,vibes and percussion. Guitar does come to the fore a minute in as contrasts continue. Great track. "Honey Trap" features odd-metered drumming and a low hum early. "Timekiller" is another tune that reminds me of MEW when it picks up after a minute. I like this one a lot.

"Operative Vs. Opposition" has a nice heavy sound to it and it's quite intricate too. Tempo continues to change. "Everybody Stay Calm" has some atmosphere 3 1/2 minutes in then it kicks back in a minute later. "Intelligence Meltdown" opens with a barrage of drums as the guitar comes in grinding away. I like it. "Debrief And Defect" is intense to start then it settles. It kind of spacey before 5 1/2 minutes which lasts a few minutes then we get an all out assault. "Objective Compromised" again contrasts the intense and calmer passages. "The L Pill" is a short dreamy track.

I'm surprised this is on the Cuneiform Records label to be honest. It's a very good instrumental album though that most people rate highly. 3.5 stars for me.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |