Magma - K.A CD (album) cover

Magma

Zeuhl

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars KA came as a huge surprise to me. A couple of excellent live release and that one album not withstanding, Magma hadn't released anything since 1978. That is 26 years!

Apparently, 26 years must be nothing on Kobaia as the music on KA is exactly what you can expect from vintage Magma. As if time stood still. Yes it doesn't offer any change to the sound of their golden years but I don't think that is the point of this release. It's also not what I expect from an artist this late in their career. I'm perfectly happy to see that the groundbreaking innovation of yore has been reaffirmed and that the band shows a solid musical maturity.

The album mainly consists of material written in 74 that was not deemed good enough for release by Vander back then. Some of it can be heard on the premature version of Köhntarkösz on the Live in London release. Rumour goes that parts I & II consist of old material and that part III is new. If you heard the Live in London, you'll know that also much of part III re-uses old material.

Despite all this reworking, the band sounds inspired and enthusiastic, and again their music grabs me right from the start till the end. Simply marvellous how they build up the tension and hypnotize me with their primal energy and those tribal rhythms. Part III contains some spacey improvisations that we haven't heard much from Magma, it makes for a nice interlude that is more accessible then their usual density.

Just like E-Re, this album largely consists of earlier released material. But unless you're a collector, chances are quite low you will have heard any of it. It makes KA an essential purchase for Magma fans and a recommended one to any one else.

Bonnek | 4/5 |