Giles Giles & Fripp - The Brondesbury Tapes CD (album) cover

THE BRONDESBURY TAPES

Giles Giles & Fripp

Proto-Prog

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars For some reason, this album reminds me a lot about the Wilde Flowers album I reviewed many, many moons ago. That too was a compilation of demos and oddities which was a taster for Caravan and Soft Machine. So is this album and it is a forewarning about things to come (King Crimson).

The connection here is the two versions of I Talk To The Wind. Versions who just prove how great this song is. But I still prefer the King Crimson version.

The rest of this album is a mix of female vocals led pop and some eccentric pop/rock in the British vein in the best 1960s tradition. The music is actually not too bad. But I cannot deny that this album is for fans and collectors only. This album does not have enough legs to stand upright on it's own, I am afraid. But it is still worth checking out.

2.75 stars