Rush - Caravan / BU2B CD (album) cover

CARAVAN / BU2B

Rush

AtomicCrimsonRush
Symphonic Team
4 stars Working them Clockwork Angels!

10 minutes from the new rush album "Clockwork Angels" is irresistible for a Rush addict like me so here I am reviewing a Rush single, a first as I am so used to getting the albums or DVDs of this incredible trio of power. I have to say I have grown to love the single 'Caravan' with its progressive feel and time sig, killer riffs and hooks, and a dynamic chorus; "I can't stop thinking big, I can't stop thinking big..." Once this locks in to your head you might not be able to get it out and that is typical of Rush, a melody that grips the listener and easy to sing along to. The good news is this song is better than anything on "Snakes and Arrows". The lead break is great too, they sound fantastic and this is a positive sign for the album to come in 2011.

The B side, 'BU2B (brought up to believe)' is another great track. It has a heavy grungy guitar sound, one of the heavier rush riffs and I love it. The lyrics are intriguing too; "we are only human, it's not ours to understand, the universe has a plan... subtlety rewarded...." Lee sings with as much conviction as the 70s.

Lee's bass is crisp and his vocals are clear and he is definitely in full voice. Lifeson is innovative on lead guitar with lavish picking, up sweeps and string bends. The drums of Peart are pounding blissfully and the time sig changes are intricately executed. Rush are certainly in force and this is a tantalising glimpse of their new sound; heavier, progressively creative and with new thematic content. All I can say is roll on "Clockwork Angels"!

AtomicCrimsonRush | 4/5 |