Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste CD (album) cover

ACQUIRING THE TASTE

Gentle Giant

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars Hypnotism.

This album has answered my question why so many are so fanatic in their adulation of this band. Some of them have even tattooed Gentle Giant on their necks and upper body. Although I am not on my way to the nearest tattoo parlour, I understand their sentiments. This album has made me understand them.

The music is quirky, twisted, melodic and hypnotic at the same time. After the Zeuhl like opening of the first song Pantagruel's Nativity, it takes of into an almost Canterbury Scene landscape before Gentle Giant establish their own identity. And for the first time, I can now put words into what Gentle Giant is really doing. Their sound is a mix of Canterbury, Symphonic and pastorial folk music. Add some hints of Zeuhl, Jazz and RIO too and you get Gentle Giant. Maybe some of my Gentle Giant tattooed friends would disagree, but that is what I get out of their sound.

But most of all, Gentle Giant has included some truly great songs here. Pantagruel's Nativity has already been mentioned. Actually, it is a bit unfair to single out more tracks here. I think they are all great tracks. Which makes an album I will enjoy to my last ever breath. Yes, I have decoded the Gentle Giant code and I now "get it". A truly brilliant song is missing from this album and that's why I am not going fully potty with the stars. But this is indeed a very, very strong album which is an excellent addition to everyone's collection.

4.5 stars