Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR CD (album) cover

Orphaned Land

Experimental/Post Metal

3 stars I have listened to The Never Ending Way of the ORwarriOR a few times and, while very impressed with the musicianship, ethnic influences, production, and songwriting, it just doesn't grab me! I admit that I am not a lyric-driven music lover (Jon Anderson vs. Robert Wyatt or Peter Hammill to me is a contest of melody--the voice as an additional instrument--not verbiage), I seek melody, harmony, subtlety, and innovative twists, tricks, progressions. Also, I am not very tolerant or attracted to musics employing a preponderance of "heavy" or "metal" stylisms. A well-crafted and performed CD that lacks . . . something! (Plus, I like what I've heard of "Mabool" a little better.) Good, IMHO, but not essential. Excellent addition for those who like their prog on the heavier side.
BrufordFreak | 3/5 |