Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom CD (album) cover

ROCK BOTTOM

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

Flucktrot
3 stars At what point do you decide you don't like an album vs. just haven't given it enough time to "get it"?

I wish I knew, because I would like to feel what others are getting out of Rock Bottom. Unfortunately, I think I'm to the point of simply not liking it.

Here's why I think that's the case. Maybe it's just that I'm an instrumentalist and really have a tough time paying attention to lyrics unless they make themselves apparent to me. Perhaps that means I'm lazy. Maybe I'm not into Rock Bottom because even though I know about the personal tragedy at the heart of much of these tunes, I just don't feel the pain, the searching, the questioning. Perhaps that means I'm insensitive.

Either way, I don't feel good about not liking this album, but there it is. I value Wyatt as a friend and contributor to many prog musicians who I love, and as one who has made numerous memorable contributions himself.

I just don't think the drones, noodles and gibberish that characterize much of this album are up my alley. However, I do enjoy the ambiance, the textures, and the syncopated rhythms. I just don't feel it in my soul.

Maybe when I hit Rock Bottom, I'll turn to this album and understand. I generally hope this doesn't happen, but part of the progger in me hopes it does.

Flucktrot | 3/5 |