Spock's Beard - Spock's Beard CD (album) cover

SPOCK'S BEARD

Spock's Beard

arcane-beautiful
4 stars This is the only post Neal Morse release of the Beard I have, so what's my opinion.

Pretty good, not the same as Neal's period, but it doesn't matter, these guys are still amazing.

I have also heard some of their other post Neal stuff, and this seems to be their strongest material.

At times, it seems these guys try too hard, but I think they should be more confident with their material, but these songs are really good.

I also think that Nick is a better singer than Neal, but even Neal knew that (he admits it in the linear notes).

1. On A Pefect Day - The closest these guys will get to the atmosphere Neal used to create. Amazing song, incredibly cathcy and very interesting. They also do this song amazing live. 10/10

2. Skeletons At The Feast - A good instrumental with some very King Crimson like eccentric passages. 7/10

3. Is This Love - Not to be confused with the Whitesnake song. A very bluesy influenced song. Very kickass. 7/10

4. All That's Left - I really love this song. I love the melody in the chorus. The lyrics are wee bit weird to be honest. 9/10

5. With Your Kiss - An amazing Marillion influenced song. I love the amazing changes in time and the odd percussion sections. A fantastic modern prog song. 9/10

6. Sometimes They Stay, Sometimes They Go - Doesn't Alan sing a litle like Elvis Costello. He does sound a lot like him. Oh yea, it's a great song. 8/10

7. The Slow Crash Landing Man - Love the chorus in this song. Very mellow and laid back, a great song, and they do this song amazing on their most recent DVD. 10/10

8. Wherever You Stand - A more rocking song. It's ok. 7/10

9. Hereafter - A beautifull ballad with some amazing piano work and some great vocals from Nick. I also love the weird chord changes throughout. 10/10

10. As Far As The Mind Can See - An amazing modern prog song, with some very cathcy moments and fantastic instrumental passages. The best parts of this song are 2 and 4. 10/10

11. Rearranged - Nice way to end the album, with some kick ass riffs. 7/10

CONCLUSION: Nothing compares to Neal's stuff, but this is a great album.

RIP Toady Payne