Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush CD (album) cover

A LIVINGROOM HUSH

Jaga Jazzist

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars I was really looking forward to this album. The mix of fusion with electronic music, mostly drum&bass in this case, sounded very alluring. And given the high rating I had expected something of the magnitude of Squarepusher, with a freshness and originality to match. But all I can hear is a fairly uninvolved and easy-listening clone of the Cinematic Orchestra.

Much of the band's attention went into arranging and producing the material, and it sure sounds right in those aspects. The jungle beats are mixed very well with the acoustic instruments. The sound is very lush and bright, very pleasant.

The song material however is very poor and predictable; it never goes beyond classic lounge-jazz tunes, pleasantly funky but forgettable. Even though few songs are longer then 5 minutes they get dull before they are halfway in. The electronic element of the music could have salvaged this problem but the beats and electronics are made to sound so pleasant and harmless that it condemns this music to elevators and shopping malls.

From a group of youngsters I had expected to hear more inspiration and passion in their performance, but apart from mixing their classic jazz-dance standards with electronics (just like Cinematic Orchestra had done 10 years earlier), there's little creativity going on. No, I'm afraid this is rather cliché jazz-muzak. Livingroom Fluff if you ask me, only recommended if you like lounge a lot.

Bonnek | 2/5 |