Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy CD (album) cover

Return To Forever

Prog Metal Team
3 stars From all the big fusion bands, Return To Forever are most likely to please prog rock audiences. And for obvious reasons, the first being that they are more melodious and proggy, the second that they rock! Especially so on their third album, which added the John McLaughlin influenced guitar player Bill Connors to the line-up. Not the popular Al DiMeola yet but sure an intense and passionate player.

The main difference with MO is the integration with Latin influences, most obvious on a track like Captain Senor Mouse. I don't find these features entirely successful. I guess I don't want Caribbean coconuts with my prog and I prefer my Latin salsa pure, without rock.

Another criticism goes to the overtly technical focus of the music. Each of the musicians here is a virtuoso player and they like to show it off as much and as frequently as the can. Even more so then the Mahavishnu Orchestra, who tend to make more room for atmosphere. Despite those remarks, the quality of the pieces is really great and inspired, so the shredding never becomes annoying and pleases me very much if I'm in the mood for it.

This is a really recommended jazz-rock album for the rock and guitar-shredding fan. 3.5 stars

Bonnek | 3/5 |