Le Orme - Uomo Di Pezza CD (album) cover

UOMO DI PEZZA

Le Orme

Rock Progressivo Italiano

BrufordFreak
4 stars As with all old prog "classics" that I am only now having the privilege of discovering, I've been taking my time to get to know Uomo di pezza. I can assure you, it has been truly a labour of love. This is a beautiful album with some wonderful songs, sounds, and melodies.

1. "Una dolcezza nuova" introduces some of Uomo de pezza's distinctive sounds: organ, fuzzy bass, pastoral piano, and, of course, the beautiful voice and singing of guitarist/bass guitarist Aldo Tagliapietra. 8/10

2. "Gioco di bimba" introduces what becomes one of the other distinctive sounds of Uomo: the 12-string guitar. Joined by clavinet and synthesized flute, the song has a rather Donovan mixed with Scarlatti feel to it. Cheery, 1960s sunshine. 7/10

3. "La porta chuisa" begins with a Camel-like sound with synth, drum and bass, before shifting into a more theatric sound with organ, followed by solo organ notes sneaking over the drummer's rim shots. Higher pitched vocal singing follows the organ until a heavy, "Tarkus"-like organ section appears and disappears, becoming the alternating partner for the soft, rim-shot-accompanied, high pitch singing sections. Enter some Nektar/Camel-esque riffs at 3:15, followed at 3:40 by the bass drum pounding out quarter notes till 5:10's silence. This pounding, quiet, pounding, quiet pattern continues alternating until a church organ fills the soundscape at the 6:15 mark, followed by piano at 6:45, ending with an ELP sound and pace. 7/10

4. Breve imagine" sounds like a return to "Una dolcezza nuova" with the higher-pitched singing done over a church organ until 0:50 sounds a crescendo of mellotron, rhythm section, and synthesizer. The quiet, bucolic A section and King Crimson-like crescendoing B section alternate two more cycles. Beautiful song. 8/10

5. "Figure di cartone" begins with a very engaging "My Sweet Lord" kind of feel: strumming 12-string guitars, KC/"Lucky Man"-like drums, roving Prophet 5 synth, and a very catchy vocal melody. A long solo from a buzzing synthesizer sound. 8/10

6. "Aspettando l'alba" uses very pensive, ominous sound and chord choices, which then yield to guitar strums at the 0:50 mark. The defining Uomo song structure seems to be the alternating quiet and dynamic sections--used to great effect. Here the quiet sections are peppered with a variety of instruments: flute, keyboard synths, drum travels, echoing space sounds, and quiet guitar strums until at 3:20 there is a complete change to percussives with flute-like keyboard chorus to fade. 8/10

7. "Alienazione" is Le Orme's attempt at discord and complexity a la King Crimson. (The song actually has quite a similar feel to it is KC's "21st Century Schizoid Man," though I'm also reminded of The Doors and Traffic. Dark and ominous.) 7/10

Overall very high consistency and quality. Le Orme exploring a lot of new sounds while relying on one basic structural pattern--to perfection--and having wonderful singer. I can't quite give it a five star rating--though I do think this is Le Orme's finest work. Still, an excellent addition to any prog-lover's music collection.

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |