The Beatles - Abbey Road CD (album) cover

The Beatles

5 stars While I rarely consider the Beatles a progressive band (despite their huge influence on the genre), Abbey Road is the one album where I always second guess myself. The songwriting is absolutely incredible--the blend of '60s pop (a weak spot of mine) and more complex songwriting results in a highly accessible album with a lot of surprises for those inclined to listen more closely. The big highlight track is "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," an eight minute epic that leaves you emotionally drained at its sudden end. The five-measure 6/8 melody is sublime, and it's easy to lose yourself in it. "Here Comes the Sun," while seemingly nothing more than a pleasant pop rock piece, betrays a bit of complexity in its shifting rhythms through the middle buildup and turns an otherwise okay piece into a great one. The medley of songs on the second side (which I treat as a single piece) is also beautifully done. A sixteen-minute menagerie of wonderful tunes which each have their own great aspects. If nothing else, Abbey Road is the essential Beatles album for any progressive fan.
msphelps | 5/5 |