Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring CD (album) cover

NIL RECURRING

Porcupine Tree

EatThatPhonebook
4 stars Interesting tracks here in Nil Recurring. All of these are songs that eventually got rejected for the "Fear Of A Blank Planet" album, even though some of them do appear in the vinyl release of the album. These songs are also some big hits at concerts, and the band plays them all the time ( see the Anesthetize DVD).

The EP starts with the title track, "Nil Recurring", which is my least favorite. It's an instrumental with many heavy moments but nothing else. I just never got into it. "Normal" is a little better even though it's not as powerful and appealing as "Sentimental", which is very similar to this one. "Cheating The Polygraph" is for me a great song, possibly the best off this EP. It has some catchy and heavy moments alternated with mellow keyboard driven ones, with a great performance by Gavin Harrison, one of my favorite drummers. "What Happens Now?" is another great song, the second best one of the EP. Even this song hs some heavy moments and mellow ones, and it has a similar structure to the previous track.

As a conclusion, I must say it isn't bad for an EP, definitely an excellent addiction to anyone who loves this band.

EatThatPhonebook | 4/5 |