King Crimson - Live At Plymouth, May 1971  CD (album) cover

King Crimson

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars If only I could get past the sound quality, I could enjoy this much more. The performance is great. Mel Collons really steals the show. And where else can you hear live versions of Cirkus, Cadence And Cascade and Cat Food? But the recording renders the bass into an indeterminate rumble through most of the songs. Ah well, at least we have the recordings, raising my opinion again of what I thought was the worst King Crimson lineup.

They play relatively few of the songs from Islands. Only A Sailor's Tale, The Letter, and an even more bluesy, smoky version of Ladies Of The Road. The rest of the set comes from Crimson's first three albums, plus Get Thy Bearings and Mars. And Collins once again proves that he was one of the best reed players ever in prog.

Three stars, only because of the sound quality.

Evolver | 3/5 |