Phoenix - Cantofabule (Cantafabule) CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

4 stars Third album of Romanian early progressive band Phoenix is without doubt most complex and mature from all their early discography. If their debut was not very organic mix of slightly psychedelic bluesy early prog with strong Romanian folklore elements (and I still really like that raw sound!), and their second album was ambitious (but a bit boring) semi-acoustic folk-opera, this third album is full bodied progressive rock album.

You can find there plenty of different influences - from baroque to Deep Purple-like Hammond attacks to spacey/psychedelic Pink Floydish moments. Romanian folklore is less dominated, but presents in many places. Melodic and often a bit melancholic. Plenty of real rocky guitar, and really balanced mix of all components.

My first impression of that album was a bit mixed - I was afraid of too much of symphonic influences in that music ( and I prefer it more raw and bluesy). But with every next listening this album grew up in me. In fact, it is the work which could be placed in the Hall of Fame of Eastern European progressive , besides of best SBB albums.

snobb | 4/5 |