Radiohead - Hail To The Thief CD (album) cover

HAIL TO THE THIEF

Radiohead

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Hail To The Thief is my favourite Radiohead album. It is not as groundbreaking as some of the earlier works but it is a solid album that consolidates all aspects of their sound very well. It sort of revisits the many styles they have gone through in their evolution from Britpop to progressive indie and further on to experimental electronic.

All tracks here are great or even outstanding songs, regardless whether it is rocking indie (2+2=5), drum&bass trip-hop (Sit Down Stand Up), electronic experiments (Backdrifts), anthemic stadium rockers (Go To Sleep), or the beautiful sadness of Sail To The Moon and plenty other plaintive ballads. If we're talking about top-class indie, this is it.

My amazement at this album's low reception on PA is quite huge. Of course there is the predictable negativity coming from the 'this is not prog' votes, but I'm surprised this album also seems to evoke little positive responses from the fans.

I'm obviously hearing something nobody else does. Good for me, this albums has it all, it is not merely a backwards looking album but actually improves the electronic experiments of the 2 previous albums by fusing them with some of the rocking energy of their earlier work. An excellent Radio-synthesis for me.

Bonnek | 4/5 |