Chaos Code - A Tapestry Of Afterthoughts CD (album) cover

A TAPESTRY OF AFTERTHOUGHTS

Chaos Code

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars I really donīt know why this band is not labeled as neo prog on this site. Here are the emotional guitar solos a la Steve Rothery, the emotional vocals and the Genesis-like acoustic guitar. But, since neo prog to me is Symphonic rock with more guitar and less pomp, I guess it is alright. This american group is quite good and their debut shows a very strong start. Besides the aforementioned elements they also include some King Crimson parts (listen to the sax, flute and the odd guitar bits) plus a little heavy metal riffs here and there.

After repeated listenings I found that this work shows great promise, no doubt about it. However the mix is still raw as far as I can see. The guys are excellent musicians and their songwriting abilities are above average, but not totally mature: some songs sound too neo prog and others too King Crimson, giving the impression of hearing two different bands playing in one CD most of the time. I donīt mean to be harsh on them. Everybody needs some time to find their own sound and I guess those guys are well on the right way. Besides, Cliff Phelps has an interesting and unique voice that is a little aquired taste, but good anyway. Great production too.

A Tapestry Of Afterthoughts is a bit uneven. It took me quite some time to really enjoy it. But I think it will please most progheads, specially the neo and KC fans. It got me really curious about their follow ups. Iīm looking forward to hear them.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |