The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter CD (album) cover

THE HANGMAN'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER

The Incredible String Band

Prog Folk

arcane-beautiful
4 stars These guys where part of a list that my dad gave me, because of their eccentries.

I was recomended them because I was slowly getting into Zappa and more experimental prog, so when I found this album, I immediately bought it.

I was a bit confused when I first listened to it, because it is very acoustic and psychadellic and maybe a bit too folky, but after a 2nd listen, you really understand it.

Usually this kind of folk, especially Dylan esque folk (that bores me to death, Dylan was an average songwriter), usually annoys me, but I really understood the genius behind this.

The melodies in the song are very beautiful, and their flirtation with other cultures is amazing and spot on.

I'm not too big a fan of the vocalists, but you get used to their voices after a while.

This album is 50 minutes long, which was quite lengthy for an album in the late 60's.

1. Koeeoaddi There - The cadences in the chorus is very beautiful and the Indian influences can be claerly heard. Very ecclectic but nice at the same time. 10/10

2. Minotaur's Song - One of my favourites. The vocals at times are very funny, but the arrangment is amazing. Love the lyrics, and when everyone says moo. 10/10

3. Witches Hat - Very folky and plain. Simple, but effective. 8/10

4. A Very Cellular Song - This is a very cellular song. It being near 13 minutes, and split into about 5 parts, it really shows amazing compositional skills. 10/10

5. Mercy I Cry City - Love the melodies in the chorus. Some amazing instrumental work. 10/10

6. Waltz Of The New Moon - I love how well this song flows, from one melody to the other. Pure genius behind the arrangement. 10/10

7. The Water Song - Love the sound effects. Again very lo fi and simple. 8/10

8. 3 Is A Green Crown - The sitar work is pretty amazing, but at times can overshadow the vocals. 8/10

9. Swift As The Wind - The vocal riffing at times is quite funny, but it does show alot of emotion and is quite beautfiull. 9/10

10. Nightfall - Nice dreamy end to the abum. 9/10

CONCLUSION: Their is a bit of filler I imagine, but the rest really is landmark stuff. This album has made me persuae finding their ther albums.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |