Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden CD (album) cover

IRON MAIDEN

Iron Maiden

AtomicCrimsonRush
Symphonic Team
3 stars It began with a whimper for me, the Iron Maiden debut that launched one of the most important and essential NWOBHM bands is a real let down. The singing is not up to scratch for a start and I believe once Bruce Dickinson replaced the mediocre vocal talents of Paul Di'Anno, the band really took off. Come on,you Irons, you can't tell me that 'Phantom of the Opera' was not improved once it was covered by Dickinson, who is litrerally like an AIR RAID SIREN such is the range of his incredible vocals, thus garnering the nickname 'AIR RAID SIREN'. There are some awesome tracks here that are saved by blistering speed lead breaks from the talented duel guitar virtuosos, Murray and Stratton. Indeed POTO is perhaps the most progressive song on the album and definitely the best thing here.

'Running Free' became a powerhouse live and was performed on stage for years to come following this release. 'Strange World' has a quirky riff and chugs along nicely as does the fun filled 'Charlotte the Harlot'.

The title track and band name 'Iron Maiden' is of course a quintessetial IM track with anthemic lyrics and a very strong beat from Burr and the rhythmic bass of Harris. It was the birth of greatness but they were yet to reach the heights with "Number of the Beast".

I remember listening to this debut in the record store, that's right vinyl, and I remember distinctly being turned off by the vocals. I had altready purchased TNOTB so it was a turn off to hear such powerless vocals. I still feel the same way now. 3 stars for sheer musical excellence but this is full of throwaway material, and that has all been ignored by Maiden in concerts to come as they rose to metal power. The best thing that happened to the band was recruiting Dickinson and he became the voice of metal.

AtomicCrimsonRush | 3/5 |