Grendel - The Helpless CD (album) cover

THE HELPLESS

Grendel

snobb
3 stars Grendel is Polish neo-prog band, founded in 2002. And The Helpless, their debut album, is released in 2008 only!

I am not a big fan of neo-progressive, but I 'd read some great reviews on this album in Polish press. So, at the first possibility I just made a spin to this CD.

The music there is very melodic, intelligent and tasteful! Vocalist's voice is really pleasant and remind Mariusz Duda (Riverside) vocals. Music is classic neo-prog, mostly influenced by Genesis and Marillion, so not big surprises there. Ingredients added are pop-rock and few metal moments. Possibly, you can think about Grendel as about neo-prog Riverside.

The album is conceptual one, and lyrics is in English. Compositions are all great played and arranged. Then, if you're not afraid in some melodic pop-rock elements in your music, and would like to listen not very original but quality mixture of Riverside and Marillion in one - this album is for you.

My rating - 3+.