Renaissance - The Mystic And The Muse CD (album) cover

Symphonic Team
3 stars A Renaissance-renaissance!

I have never been a big fan of Renaissance, but I could not avoid being very curious upon hearing about this freely available three track EP (see After hearing this new EP I must conclude that it is a surprising return to form after more than 30 years of alternating between weaker efforts and complete silence. The sound of these new songs harks back at least to the Novella album from 1977 and they would indeed have fitted perfectly on that album. The quality of this new music is, in my opinion, up to par with much of the band's classic era of the 1970's! It far surpasses the 2000 release, Tuscany, in both progressiveness and quality.

The song with the highest interest for Prog fans is undoubtedly the opening title track. But also the other two tracks are certain to appeal to anyone who followed the band in their heyday. Annie Haslam's voice is as strong as ever and the bombastic and melodic sensibilities of the band are powerfully reinstated. There is indeed very little to indicate the year of release.

For fans of the band this EP is highly recommended, beginners should however best start with the classic albums. For anyone who already owns Renaissance' 70's works but lost interest in the band in the 80's, The Mystic And The Muse is the perfect place to rekindle the flame.

Apparently, Renaissance are currently touring America as special guests of Steve Hackett and Procol Harum. I would have loved to see that!

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |