Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage CD (album) cover

BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE

Rush

Menswear
5 stars Wow, who knew there's was a bit of Rush in so many bands?

Metallica, Pantera, Skid Row, Primus, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater, Nine Inch Nails, Kiss and Tenacious D all pay respect to Rush in the movie. Because, it's a movie. A real movie, shot like a movie with actors like a movie. The documentary side is so well brought with humor and fantastic montage that we feel more like watching a real movie than a biopic.

I like: the emphasis on their youth and the Toronto scene, the scenes with their own parents (funny), the lessons on being who you are and the fact that being an outcast or a nerd is your god given right (about bloody time somebody say something). One nice touch is the moderate emphasis on Peart's tragedies; spending too much time on the subject would've burden the movie.

I watched many biopics, and let me tell you that Some kind of Monster, Metal the Headbanger Journey or The Genesis Songbook pales in comparison to this.

I dislike: not talking or overlooking albums that could be dear to your heart (Roll the Bones, Grace Under Pressure or Farewell to Kings).

Hey, when Billy Corgan, Jack Black, Gene Simmons, Les Claypool, Sebastian Bach, Mike Portnoy, Kirk Hammett and Trent Reznor are saying that YOU rock...it generally means that you kinda made it pretty good into history.

Absolutely fascinating, done with obvious professionalism and good humor...even if you're not a fan.

Menswear | 5/5 |