Karnivool - Sound Awake CD (album) cover

SOUND AWAKE

Karnivool

Kazza3
5 stars I'm enthralled to see that Karnivool are finally on PA, I'd been meaning to suggest them for a while. People may argue that Themata isn't prog, which is basically true, it's fairly average metal, but their massive shift to this astounding album should guarantee them a place.

Sound Awake is easily the most solid, consistently excellent album I have ever heard. Every track is fresh, and there's no filler. Absolutely blows me away. Before I get into a track by track, I'll just commend Ian Kenny's absolutely amazing vocal performance, and I love his lyrics. Almost of the songs are related to atheism, and he expresses his thoughts in wonderful ways.

Simple Boy kicks off the album with a bit of ambience and xylophone, before the massive, dirty bass kicks in. The actual feel of the song is actually somewhat spacey, despite the bass.

Goliath introduces the heavier side of the Vool, the guitars come in raging. The constant sectional change is amazingly done, and the key change and riff in the last section ('please wake up..') is pure awesome.

New Day shows off a bit more prog again, constantly bouncing between heavy anthems and light, clean melodies over 8 mins. They do love a good buildup.

Set Fire to the Hive is crackalacking. It's rage. Insane time signature changes and heavy guitars, with some poignant atheist metaphors ('You swing this wrecking ball, a violent pendulum, to hypnotise us all..') and angry chorus ('I'll spit in the mouth of your god who spits into the mouth of our children.. it's fiction, a faceless illusion'). Just fantastic.

Umbra turns things down a notch, perhaps one of the weaker tracks but very well done.

All I Know is the pop side of the album, but don't fret: it's spacey feel is still true to form, and works great.

The Medicine Wears Off is a quick interlude, which begins acoustic and turns heavy.

The Caudal Lure and Illumine feature quick changes, anthemic choruses, great riffs, many shades of light and dark, and the usual deep lyrics ('There's something peculiar about the way you pay to save your soul, and forfeit your dreams').

Deadman and Change are the prog heavyweights at the end. Both pursue amazingly constructed paths between heavy and light sections, with anthems inbetween, and it will hold you in it's amazing grasp until the album is finished.

5 stars. This is an album you must listen to.

Footnote: Roquefort is not part of this album like it says above, it's actually from the previous album. It was released as a single, with the Cat Empire horns added to it (which is an interesting listen anyway).

Kazza3 | 5/5 |