The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book CD (album) cover

NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK

The Tangent

arcane-beautiful
4 stars Well, the reason I did buy this album, was mainly because a book comes free with it, which is a pretty werid story involving sci fi, prog and Sid Viscious' spit, but the album itself was suprisingly very good, I didn't really expect alot, but I got alot in reture (much like their debut).

I would also like to point out that on the album cover there is a drawing of someone who looks identical to me (the one that is directly behind Andy, but slightly to his right), I would like to say that is me, but it is basically a clone (in drawing form)

This being a double album, it was also very easily digestable, with both cds just being over 40 minutes.

CD 1 (A Crisis In Mid-Life)

1. A Crisis In Mid-Life - Gotta love the Van Halen esque synths. This song does have an odd rythym, but it is pretty cool and quite catchy. 9/10

2. Lost In London (25 Years Later) - I love the vocal melodies in this song. The chorus is quite catchy and the lyrics are very funny, in an odd way. 9/10

3. The Ethernet - This song is pretty interesting in an instrumental point of view, but vocally their is not alot hapening. Still pretty good though. 8/10

4. Celebrity Purée - Wow, what an instrumental. Short and very effective with alot of fiddly bits. 10/10

5. Not As Good As The Book - Best song on the album. Love the chorus and the isntrumental sections are amazing. 10/10

6. A Sale Of 2 Souls - Very Van Der Graaf Generator. Great song, very dark and weird, and their only real eccentric quality. 9/10

7. Bat Out Of Basildon - Usually songs like this annoy me, but I loved it. Love the chorus and the lyrics are quite hilarious. 10/10

CD 2 (Throwing Metal At The Sky)

1. 4 Egos One War - Originally a 90 Degrees Or Parallel song (Andy's actual band), this song is very interesiting, with some amazing twists and turns, and great discourse between the 2 vocalists. 9/10

2. The Full Gamut - Full of twists and turns to entertain any baby, if that makes sense. 8/10

CONCLUSION: A great album, and a weird book, what more could you want.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |