Spektrum - Spektrum CD (album) cover

SPEKTRUM

Spektrum

Mellotron Storm
2 stars On paper this looked like a winner. We have the guitarist from CROSS, the drummer and keyboardist from GRAND STAND, and the bass player from GALLEON. Then add a female vocalist and we have SPEKTRUM.

"Spektrum" is a short intro that sounds good. "Land Of Longing" opens well but then the vocals and synths come in and both make me cringe. I'm not sure if I just get used to them as the album plays out or not but I don't like either on this tune. "Now" is mellow with soft vocals to start. It kicks in after a minute with some good guitar then settles back some. Synths and drums lead before 6 minutes. "Perpetuum Mobile" is my favourite track and it is the only instrumental on here besides the short intro song. It opens and closes with the sounds of a music box. Synths a minute in as it builds. Guitar and a powerful section 4 minutes in.

"The Quest" has some nice sounding bass and synths as vocals join in. Pulsating synths arrive when the vocals stop later. "Ivory Tower" opens with a fairly powerful sound as vocals enter the fray. This is an interesting song. The melancholic guitar after 5 minutes suits the mood. "A Chemical Release" picks up quickly with synths and vocals standing out. Guitar solo after 3 1/2 minutes. Synths lead 6 1/2 minutes in to the end. A nice way to end it.

I'm just not into the vocals to be honest, and the instrumental music while being pretty good doesn't do a lot for me either.

Mellotron Storm | 2/5 |