Soft Heap - Rogue Element (as Soft Head) CD (album) cover

ROGUE ELEMENT (AS SOFT HEAD)

Soft Heap

Canterbury Scene

snobb
5 stars The only (live) Soft Head album is excellent work! Having its roots in psychedelic jazz-rock of early Soft Machine music, this album is in fact Elton Dean's swan song. Plenty of soloing jazzy sax on each composition (with great support of all other musicians, especially - Alan Gowen's electric piano). Obviously more jazzy, than many Soft Machine albums, this album is excellent gem for Elton Dean sax lovers.

I can listen it again and again - fresh, very inspired improvs and possibly the best Elton Dean recordings ever! To be honest, I like all Soft Heap/Soft Head albums, they all are based on Elton Dean sax soloing with great support of Canterbury stars. But this live album is peak of all them for me!

If you like Elton Dean, jazzy side of Soft Machine music or just great sax-led progressive jazz, you must have this album for sure.

My rating is 4,5, rounded to 5!

snobb | 5/5 |